Sunday, January 9, 2011

Reflecting on Design & Emotion

Reading "The Power of Nostalgia in Advertising" was very interesting and thought provoking. It addresses the use of familiar music and imagery being used as a marketing tool. Dr. Bob Deutsch discusses how imagery and audio cues can be used to evoke positive emotions and memories, causing thoughts of youthfulness and what was. Dr. Deutsch makes an interesting point that many of these cues don't relate to the product at all. He mentioned how individuals who were 23 in 1964, when The Beatles performed on the Ed Sullivan Show, are now 70 years old and a prime target for this nostalgic marketing. I am curious to see how advertisers may use The Beatles in relation to products.
Humans react to multitudes of cues without any thought or realization. The mind is such a beautiful, complex machine which really fascinates me. While reading the article, I reacted to many of the words and topics I read and rehashed certain times of my life and remembered other cues, creating a spider web of thoughts and memories. This simply confirms the information discussed in the article. The article is also important to me because I am interested in advertising and I am a communications major.

http://www.design-emotion.com/2010/01/25/the-power-of-nostalgia-in-advertising/

No comments:

Post a Comment